Our CleanTech Industry Group is committed to bringing clean technology innovation to market through strategic IP counsel. We have teams working in sectors like Alternative Energy & Climate Change and Industrial & Agricultural Biotech.
More specifically, our attorneys counsel companies innovating products, services, and processes in technologies including:
Biofuels: biogas, ethanol, butanol and biodiesel
Cellulosic biomass: degradation and ethanol production technologies
Clean water technologies
Carbon footprint technologies
Energy generation and storage
Green building materials
Less invasive mining techniques
Next generation wind technologies
Green household products
Ocean energy technologies
Photovoltaics and solar energy
Why Sterne Kessler?
We speak your language and meet your needs with a team that has advanced training across a variety of disciplines. Many have worked as patent examiners at the USPTO or worked in private industry, prior to joining our firm.
Members of our CleanTech Industry Group use the full scope of Intellectual Property protection to creatively and strategically protect innovation. We know that every company has a unique set of business goals and challenges, that's why we use all available forms of IP protection, including utility and design patents, trade dress, trademarks, trade secrets, copyright, technology transfer, and litigation to help them realize success.
When an IP team focuses exclusively on technology, the resulting IP protection may be technically successful, but financially marginal. We add value by teaming with your executives, in-house counsel and inventors, staying abreast of industry developments, and providing counsel on IP strategy and deal negotiation, not just patent prosecution.
Acceleration Options Available
After the expiration of the Green Technology Pilot Program, other accelerated examination options applicable to all technologies may still be used. They include the USPTO’s new Prioritized Examination program (Track I), use of the Patent Prosecution Highway, the Accelerated Examination Program, and a Petition Based on Applicant’s Age or Health. We can advise on which program is best suited for you.
- Biomass/Biofuels: crop-based energy sources such as ethanol produced from corn or cellulosic biomass and biodiesel produced from vegetable oils
- Biofuels: enzyme products for biomass conversion
- Biofuels from non-food sources
- Renewable replacements for petroleum-based ingredients in coatings such as oil-derived additives for use in paints
- Fuel cells: method for manufacturing composite membrane for polymer electrolyte fuel cell
- Photovoltaics and solar energy: amorphous and nanocrystalline solar cells, including methods of production and mounting systems
- Lighting: CFL and LED lamps
- Fuel cell membrane electrode assemblies comprising nanostructures, such as nanowires
- Carbon footprint technology: use of micro- and/or nanowires of mineral oxides for carbon dioxide sequestration
- Natural gas delivery systems
- Biogas collection: an assemble on-site methane-containing biogas collection system and kit